Tonight as we watched 'The Amazing Race' an urgent news break interrupted our favorite show. It surely meant we would miss the end and seeing who would be eliminated. My annoyance was quickly forgotten as the news anchor announced the death of the most wanted terrorist for the last decade. I feel many emotions. My first thoughts included,
"So what? There are probably hundreds that can step up to take his place. How are they going to retaliate? What time does my brother's cross country plane land tonight? He's in New York all week. Will he be safe? Pres. Obama said me, I, my approval, etc. a lot in his speech. How much credit does he deserve?"
I know that this is a symbolic, emotional victory for the U.S. I know that this man caused a great deal of heartache in this world but I can't stop myself from feeling sorrow at the loss of life at the same time I am rejoicing that he is no longer on this Earth.
The kids were watching tv with us and saw all of this and had a lot of questions. Joslyn wouldn't leave my side for the next hour and a half before I got her in bed. I had to take a shower with her! She didn't want to be alone. I asked her if she was scared. She said no. I asked her if she had more questions about what we saw on the news. She said no.
0 comments:
Post a Comment