We took a picnic lunch to the park this weekend. It was a beautiful day. The park wasn't overcrowded but there were other kids around to play with, just perfect. So, we've been there for about half an hour when we realize there are three brothers there without parental supervision. Their ages were 9, 7ish, and 4ish. The 9 is solid because I actually ended up asking him how old he was. I thought he was a little young to be supervising two younger siblings outside of the home but I guess it's not too shocking. What was shocking was when the two older boys decided to go home. And they left little brother there. They got across the street and realized he wasn't following. So they yelled and he didn't listen and they left.
What would you do?
I don't know how old my kids will be when I let them go to the park alone but there's no way I'd send a four or five year old with a nine year old.
I was close to calling the police. If I had been there with another mother instead of my don't-get-involved-husband I would not have hesitated. It took about twenty minutes for Big Brother to return and tell Little Brother that Mom was really mad and he was in trouble. That's when I asked how old he was and told him that he should tell his mom that some lady at the park was going to call the police on her. Since then, I've reviewed many What If.. scenarios but I guess I'll never know the consequences of my decision.
1 comments:
You probably did the right thing given all the circumstances. I can see situations where the three boys playing by themselves would be OK, and lots more where it is not OK. This sounds like they weren't being supervised from a front window or anything. Can't everyone just be a good mom??!? :)
Post a Comment